A low speed teleprinter, often abbreviated TTY. They are assistive devices for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired.
A Southern Linc Technician or Customer Solution Representative can help you turn on the TTY feature on your phone. Call 1-800-406-0151 for more information on TTY features.
To access our TTY line, dial 205-874-3838.
Current phones for sale by Southern Linc and some older models are TTY capable.
- Phone software must be release two or higher.
- The TTY feature must be "turned on" as the default on the phone.
- A TTY device with a 2.5mm audio jack.
If your phone does not have software that is release two or higher, you can get a free software upgrade from Southern LincEquipment needed for using TTY with a Plus unit
- A computer with HyperTerminal (Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT or higher).
- A programming cable (iDEN Data Cable NKN6521/6522)
- The unit must be provisioned with Circuit Switch Data. In order to get Circuit Switch Data provisioned on your Plus phone, contact the Southern Linc Customer Care Department at 1-800-406-0151.
- The baud rate on the phone should be set to 19200. To check the baud rate, on the Plus series press *# 60. The menu item will read, "60=Set Baud Rate: Auto." Press the soft key under "Ok." Press the right arrow key until the screen reads, "Baud Rate 19200" and press the soft key under "Ok." The screen will return to the "60=Set Baud Rate" menu item and the rate will be set at 19200. Press the soft under "Ok." In order to change the baud rate in an im1000, see the Wireless Data User's Guide.
Call 1-800-406-0151 for more information on TTY features.